EASE Project Management System Help
Getting Started with the EASE Project Management System
The first time you open the Intro software, EASE PMS opens with a Detail Gantt Chart of the sample project. Otherwise, it will open the last project you were in and show the last display you viewed (Detail Gantt, WBS Level Summary Gantt, Variable WBS Summary Gantt, Network Diagram or Graphical Editing on a Gantt Chart). A Title Box (outlined in red, white, and blue) will indicate the Version of the software, Licensee information and Copyright notice. It will remain until the screen is refreshed by Display selection, scrolling or another action. It can be displayed again by selecting Menu|Help|Splash Screen Copyright Notice from the Menu..
The display can be reselected from the Displays menu.
If not already there, select the Detail Gantt.
Try the arrow, PgUp/Dn, Home and End keys and note the resultant changes in the display.
Try the horizontal and vertical scroll bars.
Bring up the display preferences dialog, either by striking the F4 key or selecting Menu|Displays|Current Display Preferences.
Select a different Calendar Length (at top) and click OK (at the bottom). Note the difference in the display. Again strike F4 to bring up the Preferences Dialog. Bring up the Detail Gantt Preferences help topic. Read the entries in the help topic and try them in the preferences dialog.
Do the same for the WBS Level Summary Gantt, the Variable WBS Summary Gantt, and the Network Diagram.
Entering and Editing Schedule Data
This is the Edit Schedule Menu.
Click on the hyperlinks within the text below to see the dialogs used for the variety of edit capabilities available.
After editing data, a re-compute of the Schedule will be required as indicated by the red Schedule Compute Needed notation in the lower right.. This is accomplished by Compute Schedule (F2) on the menu or F2 from the keyboard.
Overall selections for the current project can be made by selecting Current Project Choices which brings up the Project Selections Dialog .
Task data can be entered by the Task Data Dialog (F3) which can displayed with the Gantt Charts and the Network Diagram. It is non-modal allowing the user to switch between operations on the main window and this dialog. When the user clicks on a task on the main window, the dialog will be switched to that task.
Groups of tasks may be copied from within a project or from another project using Task Group Cloning.
A group of tasks can be moved or all tasks can be sorted into WBS alpha numerical order using Task Reordering.
Global editing (find/replace) of words, phrases, or other letter sequences can be accomplished via Global Text Editing.
Groups of tasks can be deleted via Delete Task Groups.
In any display, a task can be quickly found via Find Task By WBS(F5).
Data may be updated graphically on the Graphical Edit Gantt Chart.
All displays may be printed by selecting Menu|File|Print Current Display.
Helpful Hints and Problem Avoidance
0) The term Activity is inclusive of any detail level task, summary level task, milestone, or rubber task. Often in the software and this help file I use the term Task when I should use Activity.
1) Function keys (F1 (Help),F2 (Compute Schedule), F3 (Task Data Dialog), F4 (Current Display Preferences), F5 (Find Task by WBS), and F7 (Refresh Screen)) are used. They will work only if the focus is on the EASE PMS main window.
2) When you create new Activity in the Task Data Dialog, it will be placed after the current Activity shown in red and in the dialog before you defined the new Activity. If you need to move an Activity use Menu|EditSchedule|Task Reordering.
3) If the Task Data Dialog is up and you click on a task in any of the displays, that task will show in the dialog.
4) The order in which you create tasks is the WBS order. When the Task Data Dialog is displayed, the Detail Display with all Activities in WBS order will be shown.
6) In the Task Data Dialog, be careful that you click on Save as New Task if you are creating a new task and Save Task Changes if you are making changes to an existing task. The software will warn you if you move to a new task without saving changes.
7) You will have an easier time if you create an alpha numeric WBS structure (A,A1,A1A,A1B,A2 ...) rather than picking starting letters which suggest the project elements (H for house, B for barn, O for outhouse). If your group works with the project long at all, refering to the task by its WBS will become equivalent to saying its description. And, if the tasks get out of order through some input error, they can be put back in order with one mouse click (See Menu|Edit Schedule|Task Reordering).
8) Holiday Files. The holiday file for a project is chosen under Menu|Edit Schedule|Current Project Choices. The holiday files are maintained via MS NotePad. It is simply a list of holidays like the following:11/11/14 Veterans Day 2014
11/20/14 Thanksgiving 14
12/25/04 Christmas 14
01/01/15 New Years 15
Each holiday is on a separate line. The descriptor is optional.
After changing the choice of a holiday file or the file itself, you will need to save the changed holiday file and Compute Schedule(F2) for the changes to take effect.